The following notes were kindly donated, and were originally available for visitors in 1968/1969/1970. They are of historic interest only!
Introducing You To St. Andrew’s
Methodists have worshipped in Churches in Pump Street since 1795. In that year, the Methodists, who had been worshipping in New Street since 1772, bought premises in Pump Street which had been used by a group of Independents for worship. The building was demolished and a Methodist Church built on the site and opened the following year. Within a few years the building was too small so adjoining land was bought and the Church rebuilt in 1813. Sixty-one years later this Church was reconstructed and extended and then, at the beginning of this century, demolished and another Church built and opened in 1902. In agreeing to demolish that in 1965 and replace it by another Church, Methodism was continuing a well established custom in Pump Street. Members of the Primitive Methodist Church in George Street, opened in 1882 and closed in 1963, joined the Church in Pump Street in 1964.
St Andrew’s Methodist Church was opened on January 6th, 1968, by Mr. J. W. Chisholm, Trust Secretary, and dedicated for “ the worship of Almighty God and the service of the community ” by Rev. W. H. Bridge, Chairman of the Birmingham Methodist District. Rev. F. R. Dowson. Superintendent Minister of the Worcester Circuit, preached the sermon and in the congregation were representatives of the Free Churches, the Church of England and the Roman Catholic Church and the Mayor and Town Clerk of Worcester and Member of Parliament for Worcester. The Architects were Messrs. Shingler Risdon Associates (Mr. Norman Webster, A.R.I.B.A.)
The Church has seating accommodation for 326 people.
Externally the Church, which cantilevers extensively over
the shops below, has been faced with large stone panels which
contrast sharply with the glass and facing brickwork used
on the remainder of the building.
The main entrance screen is dominated by a full height
window extending three storeys from pavement level,
constructed of concrete mullions and coloured glass set in
You are welcome not only to look around the premises but
also to use the Chapel, to join in the activities of the Church
as detailed on the Notice Boards and to share in Worship on
The Minister’s telephone no. is 23670. The Church telephone no. is 27852.
Gifts of money for the work of the Church may be put in the table in the Entrance Hall.
The Ground Floor
The chapel is for private prayer and meditation. It is simply furnished with white plaster and facing brickwork round the Communion Table. Utile and elm are the main timbers and the chairs made of beech wood.
In the Hall a self-operating lift serves the basement (oil fed boiler) and first and second floors.
The First Floor
The corridor leads to the Hall, which has a maple floor and acoustic tiling. On the left is the kitchen and canteen, with folding partition, and the Lounge. On one side of the corridor is Room No. 1, used for meetings of not more than forty people. On the other side are cloakrooms and toilets.
The Second Floor
The Church Office is opposite the lift. The carpeted corridor leads to the Church, passing the Stewards’ Vestry and Cloakroom. The plan of the Church has been dictated by liturgical requirements with the pews arranged in a semi-octagonal form round the central Communion Table, thus encouraging congregational involvement in the Services. The choir sits within the main body of the Church and not separate from the congregation. The sanctuary furnishing was designed by the Architect and is constructed with stainless steel framing and white Sicilian marble facings. Traditionally a timber surface has been used for the Communion Table with rosewood finish. This finish has been used as the internal lining to the Pulpit and as the edging for the Cross. The organ screen is constructed in sycamore, the pews are afromosia, the sloping surfaces ofthe ceiling are in dark African walnut and the floor is maple. The organ was built by Nicholson and Co. (Worcester) Ltd. It is a three manual instrument with a detached console and electro-pneumatic action. There are forty-three stops and 1,800 speaking pipes. Some of the pipes were in the organs of the Pump Street and George Street Methodist Churches. All the pipes are behind the screen.
The main entrance screen is dominated by a full height window extending three storeys from pavement level, constructed of concrete mullions and coloured glass set in