Methodists have worshipped in churches in Pump Street since 1795, when the Methodists, who had been worshipping in New Street since 1772, bought premises in Pump Street which had been used by a group of Independents for worship. The building was demolished, and a Methodist church built on the site and opened the following year.
The building soon became too small to accommodate attendees, so adjoining land was bought, and new premises rebuilt in 1813. In 1864 this building was reconstructed and extended which was subsequently demolished and another building built and opened in 1902. This was demolished in 1965 at the Council’s request and replaced by the current premises.
Members of the Primitive Methodist Church in George Street (opened in 1882 and closed in 1963), joined the congregation in Pump Street in 1964.